And I survived!!! Story of my 2 years in Canada

Hello Friends,

It was today on 17 August 2015 that we left India for Canada, for good. We had our flight from Chandigarh to Delhi via Brussels to Toronto. Our destination was Brampton.

Just before we left for Canada

We had initially planned Calgary, Alberta as our Port of Entry into Canada, and had hoped to settle there. I had mentioned Calgary as our landing city in my immigration forms and we had even opened our bank account with Scotiabank there. But as luck would have it, I was offered a job by my employer at their Brampton office and we had to change all our plans. Brampton, was the last city I wanted to go to in Canada. But I was being offered a job even before setting foot on the Canadian soil. I could not say NO.

We knew nobody in Brampton. No friends. No relatives. We were by ourselves. We were excited to land in Toronto and set foot on the Canadian soil. We had approximately 250 kilograms of baggage with us (25kgs x 8 bags + 4 cabin baggages x 12 kgs each, yes we had more baggage than the allowed limit), plus the handbags and two very small kids. It was not easy. We boarded a taxi by ourselves and reached our destination. Trust me it surprises many people (not everyone though).

At IGI Airport
The first few days in Brampton were very good. At times I felt the cars were plying on the wrong side of the road, but then realized that Canada drives on the opposite side to what we drive in India. I started my job at Brampton office (8 September 2015). Things weren't very good. Partly due to my own expectations and partly due the atmosphere there at the office, it was not good. I resigned from my job within 1.5 months of joining (28 October 2015) and I had no back up job. It was getting depressing. We were feeling home sick. I had two interviews lined up at Georgian College and Niagara College. I could not clear any of them. I was still without a job. A month passed by.

I had no other option, but to pick up a survival job. It was in November 2015 that I picked up a job as a water tester. I had no idea what it meant or what I was supposed to do. I had never worked in my life with tools but I had to do it here. I picked up garbages, swept the floors and tears would not stop rolling down from my cheeks. I would pick up tables for my bosses, shift their furniture and do what not. I did this for two whole months. And then, I got a job interview with Pures College in my own field. Everything started to look bright and I was so happy, that at last, I am back in my line (25 January 2016).

with Gurpreet, my biggest motivator.
Outside Queen's University, Kingston

But all that joy was short lived. I was fired within one week of joining. I did not know what had happened and what was going on. It was like a bolt from the blue. I wept, wept and wept. In the meantime I did not stop applying for jobs with colleges in Canada. I kept on getting interview calls and I kept on failing.

I was out of job again!

I then decided to give my G driving test (I had already cleared G2 in November 2015). I booked my road test (February 2016). It was minus 25 degrees that day. The cold wave was so strong that it was penetrating through my bones. It was our first brush with Canadian winters. Anyhow my road test started and it finished, and with it, I was finished too. I failed my road test. I was devastated. All this was hurting us emotionally and financially. (I cleared my G Test in my second attempt later).

I consoled myself and told my inner self that it is not the end of the road. I will fight. I will get up. I will rise like a phoenix from my ashes.

And I did. I decided to take the bull by the horns. I decided that I will study during days, to upgrade my skills and work during nights to keep myself and my family financially afloat. And I did this for 16 months. I slept 5 hours a day and worked for the remaining 19 hours, either studying, working or doing daily chores. It was tough. It was bone breaking. But not even once, did the thought of giving up enter my mind.

At work, as a
Graphic Installer
I again picked up a survival job as a Graphic Installer (29 Feb 2016). I promised myself, no matter what, I am sticking to this job till the time I establish myself. I was again, a novice in this field. But I tried my best. After a few hiccups, I picked up the tricks of the job. And oh my my, within 9 months of joining, I was promoted as the Lead Hand of the establishment. It was a very big accomplishment for me. I was number two in hierarchy for my unit. I trumped people who had been with the establishment for over 7 years. My pay was increased to CA$ 21.53 per hour. Many people who have been in Canada for over 30 years or in some cases all their life, not make this money. No bragging, but I did well. And I did this while studying full time during days and working during my late afternoon/ night shifts.

Side by side with the encouragement from my wife,  I decided to upgrade my studies. I joined an Immigration Consultant Diploma program (April 2016). I was good with it. I not only topped my class, but I also completed my Immigration Consultant Diploma with Honors. Further, I was nominated for the Outstanding Graduate of the Year award in the Province of Ontario.

I then had to write my Licensing Exam. And I did that in style. I cleared my ICCRC licensing exam in my first attempt itself. Again, no bragging, but people are not able to clear it even in their third attempt. I now have a successful practice and am doing well. But there's still so much more to accomplish. Miles to go before I sleep.

So my advice is never give up. Keep fighting. And it is not to say that my fight is over and I have achieved everything. NO. My fight is still on. It is an ongoing thing, which will never get over. Every day is a new struggle. Every day is a new challenge.

But I made a promise to myself and stuck with it. My advice to everyone is to be consistent in your efforts and trust me, you will reach your goals.

Comments

  1. Hats off to your struggle and proud of your success. May Waheguru ji bless you always and motivate you to reach you from one success to another... Keep fighting and winning...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well expressed and a great source of motivation I can feel the positive vibes around myself bravo keep up the good work and god bless you always

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow ! Bravo boy! Well done. And yeah you are right, the fight is still on and will always be. Keep up the good work. Motivating !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thakur Ji, as you already mentioned that rising like Phoenix always seem to be true when your conscience is true and you're following right path and you did the same. The crisis and tough times are the best teachers as it makes your inner self strong and shows your real character that what kind of individual you're. I pray to Almighty for more success and accomplishment to achieve in your life. God bless you and your family members.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is really very motivating for the strugglers like me

    It starts with a Dream.
    Add Faith and it becomes a belief.
    Add Action and it becomes a part of life.
    Add Perseverance and it becomes a goal in sight.
    Add Patience & Time
    It ends with a Dream come true.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How the Australian Immigration system is decades ahead of Canada!

Work Permits for International Students

Types of Work Permits